Set in a Liberal Catholic Eucharistic tradition, St Mary’s worships in a spirit of “relaxed formality”, where the focus is on fine choral music and liturgy with a feeling that God is transcendent. The church offers additional choral worship centred on major festivals and pays close attention to the changing liturgical seasons. St Mary’s congregation values traditional worship ‘done well’.
Like St Mary’s, St Anne’s is an intergenerational, liberal and inclusive congregation, who worship an immanent God. Recent re-ordering has seen the pews removed and the nave altar become the main permanent focus of worship. Worship is less formal here than at St Mary’s and takes place in the round. Worship is led by organ and piano, and the feeling is very much that God is immanent.
The Eucharist service is alternating between St Mary's and St Anne's. The Eucharist at St Anne's will be at 11:00am, and the service will remain at 10:00am when at St Mary's.
Theis taking place weekly at St Mary's. The first and third Sundays will be the service from the Book of Common Prayer.
For everyone's safety, we would ask you to observe the following if you are coming to a service:
- One-way systems remain in operation in both churches. Please enter via the main door, unless you need level access, in which case entry is via the south east door at St Mary's (nearest to the Lady Chapel), and the Baptistry door at St Anne's.
- Exit for everyone is via the south east door at St Mary's, and the Baptistry door at St Anne's.
- You are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering whilst in Church.
- You are also encouraged to sanitise your hands on entry and exit. Sanitiser will be available.
- Please continue to respect everyone's space whilst in church. All pews marked with an arrow in St Mary's are available.
- Orders of service, Test & Trace forms and pens will either be in the pews ready for you to use, or will be handed to you on entry. If you have downloaded the NHS COVID 19 app to your smartphone please do use it to check in. Just scan the QR code which is on the back of the paper Test & Trace Form using the app, and you won't need to fill in a paper form!
- All those attending are encouraged to continue to use lateral flow tests before coming to church. Boxes of tests are still available for collection after all services.
Midweek Holy Communion
Our first mid-week Eucharist service of Holy Communion returns on Thursday 22nd July and will take place at 12.45pm in St Mary's.
Our next Intergenerational Service will take place in September.
A said, reflective service of prayer for the close of day on Sunday evenings at 6:30pm at St Mary's during August.
Join us for Morning Prayer in St Mary's Church at 9.10am on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and in St Anne's Church at 9.10am on Wednesdays.
Thursday Midday Prayers in St Mary's Churchyard
Weather permitting, there will be a simple, socially distanced, prayer service in the churchyard every Thursday at midday. The service is based on Common Worship. Please bring a copy, download the office, or get the midday app from the C of E website if you want to participate. Or, just come along and listen and pray. Please do wear suitable clothing and bring something to sit on if you would like to.
You can find the Thursday prayers here. Or you can download the Daily Prayer app here.
For details of worship for Children, please see our Children and Youth page.