Charities that we Support
Word and action are at the heart of charitable giving. One of the most powerful passages in the gospels, is Luke 4: 16-21 which is described as Jesus’ manifesto for his life and ministry. It speaks of bringing good news for the poor, justice and liberation for the oppressed. Jesus lived out these words through his actions and by challenging the religious and political authorities that excluded the weak and the vulnerable. His life was one of serving God and serving his neighbour. Jesus declared these were the most important commandments and commissioned his followers to do the same.
Two thousand years on our commission as followers of Christ remains the same. Is this too awesome a task? Do we feel inadequate? Both of those and more BUT our learning about and praying for our charities and making donations to them are ways in which we can live out the Gospel.
At present St. Mary’s and St. Anne’s churches jointly support four Charities known as our Parish Charities and as individual churches support a further three each.
The Charitable Giving Group recommend charities to the PCC’s that include a wide range of organisations supporting international, national, local, cross-cultural and age-inclusive projects that are a reflection of Jesus’ mission to all peoples.
A budget for each charity is set aside annually and thanks to events organised by the Hospitality Team additional money is also sent throughout the year. The charities are reviewed on a regular basis and suggestions sought from the congregations.
In addition to budgeted charities there are many activities that are identified with charitable giving:
We are immensely thankful for the continuing generosity of our congregations in supporting our charities.
Please click on the name of the charity to navigate to their website:
Parish Charities for 2023
- Moseley CDT : Community Development Trust, financing the Moseley Neighbourhood Outreach Worker, Anji Page.
- Amaudo : Providing accessible, affordable and sustainable systems of mental health care for all in Nigeria.
- Educacion Plus : Supporting families in urban shanty towns in Costa Rica.
- FareShare : The UK’s national network of charitable food redistributors.
St. Mary’s Charities for 2023
- The Busoga Trust : providing sustainable access to safe water, improved sanitation and comprehensive hygiene and health education to the communities in rural Uganda. This is a long term commitment in memory of the founder of this link, the late Rosemary Berridge.
- Torch Trust : An ecumenical Christian ministry that focuses on the spiritual support and encouragement of blind and partially sighted people.
- Edward's Trust : Supporting children, young people and families facing loss and surviving bereavement across the West Midlands.
St. Anne’s Charities for 2023